Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wishful Conversation

If I could have a once in a lifetime conversation with anybody from the past I would choose my late grandfather John F. Laury Sr. I never met him before due to his untimely demise when my father was only fifthteen years old. He died from a gunshot wound to the torso during an "event" when a heated discussion took place between him and another man. If I had the chance to ever meet him now I would take it no questions asked. He has been in the Navy and he is a ten year veteran of the Newark Police Department. I've heard so many things about him it feels as though I already know him. I admire and respect him, in a way he is my idol and a hero just like my father.

I would set up the conversation after my father’s birthday back in 1955 where we would meet at one of his hangout bars and we would sit and have mugs of beer. Me and him would kick back and talk for hours about who I am and who he is and we certainly are talking about my dad. I'm always told that he would spoil me rotten for being the only grandson in the family. He would take me everywhere with him, introduce me to his friends, shop around looking for women, buy me gifts, the whole nine yards that grandparents take to spoil their grandchildren. I would've liked to known his defining moments in the Navy and the police force.

As well known things were not easy back then for African-American men in the 50's, I remember looking at his class picture and seeing thirty Caucasian males and three Black males. I know it was hard to handle being in there like that. I was also told he had to put up with alot of shit in the police force in order to move up the ranks. Different men in higher places inside the force purposely tried to break him down. Those are the stories that I probably would want to hear the most. Along with stories of his childhood, growing up, his father, and how he met Unice El, my grandmother. Every second of the day we would have to be with each other to get in on all these conversations, there’s just too many!

Today I still keep him close to my heart. I wear his old Navy dog tag to ensure that when his spirit is with me, I can do no wrong. It’s like a piece of his spirit rests with me when I wear his dog tag. Other mementos are his letters my grandmother saved from when he was in the Navy, his Good Conduct service medal, and old photographs of him and the family. I also keep the newspaper clipping of when he died. He is gone but I believe he will always live on in the items and stories I have of him. I hope from where ever he is watching me, that he is proud to have a grandson like me. Just like I'm extremely proud to have a grandfather like him. I wonder now will my grandchildren ever want to remember me like this, I can only hope. Love you grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment